AON was in the process of writing an web-based application to allow agents in the field to capture customer information at the customer site, get online, submit the information, and retrieve a quote for the proposed coverages. The application was to be run on the agent’s laptop using Personal Web Server. A local SQL Server database contained the customer and quote data and was replicated with the master SQL Server database in the office.
I was brought in to assist in meeting the proposed deadline and became responsible for the web application. The architect directed me to create an XML document definition to contain the variables captured in the customer coverage application interview. Each page would collect the data, insert it into the XML document, and pass the document to the next page to persist the data. All of this was done using ASP written in JScript and JScript classes.
My responsibilities as developer for AON were as follows:
Sept 2000 - Oct 2000
Comro.com’s original Internet site was built using a 2-tier architecture. When I started at Comro my first responsibilities were to help them finish moving the original site over to a 3-tier architecture using ASP, VB COM, and SQL Server 7. I was responsible for the RFP functionality, the region maps, modifications to property searches, and the Comro Direct functionality. Each area required five to a dozen functions in a COM object and usually a half dozen stored procedures. Once the site had been migrated to the new architecture, it was moved to the production servers.
The Comro Direct and RFP features both used CDO and scheduled NT processes to automate sending of user email messages.
Comro did not have a replication architecture in place prior to my arrival. They also did not have separate development and staging environments or solid code promotion procedures. I contributed significantly in planning and deciding how to implement replication and how to design and promote between a multi-stage server environment.
My responsibilities as a web developer and SQL programmer for Comro.com were as follows:
Aug 2000 - Sept 2000
HTS contracted me as an interim practice manager for their new e-commerce practice. They had an immediate opportunity with Nalco that required quick business requirements gathering and analysis. I attended several client meetings with the HTS account manager to interview key client personnel. During these interviews I documented the requirements of the applications needed and other details which I would use to assess the complexity of the project and estimate an accurate work effort. After the client interviews I went back and broke the project down into several stages for each application. For each application I identified technologies which I believed would yield the best cost-benefit ratio. For each stage I identified the resources needed and assigned tasks to each resource. When the project plan was complete I created a formal project proposal which documented the overall scope of the project and detailed costs and schedule estimates. Once HTS approved the project proposal, we submitted it to the client.
My responsibilities as interim practice manager for HTS were as follows:
Apr 2000 - Jul 2000
When I first started at Arthur Andersen, my responsibility was to learn the EOR application and to begin debugging the existing version. When a bug is reported, a System Investigation Request (SIR) is created by the tester and assigned by management to one of the developers. I completed several dozen major SIRs, the application was promoted to production, and the EOR code base was used to generate additional applications: QARM, Fraud, BPO, and BRCA. Each application was then customized to the specific requirements of the application sponsor.
One of the other responsibilities I had was to manage a daily data migration between application data stores on several SQL Servers, some V6.5 and some V7.0. The migration code was encapsulated inside of several DTS packages and scheduled with the SQL Server Agent. The packages moved approximately 600,000 records each day, some requiring BCP due to translation of code page specific characters to Unicode (nvarchar). Replication was investigated, proven, and is due to be implemented in the environment soon.
Several application components and modules were written in Visual Basic, compiled, and promoted to production to run when needed or on a scheduled basis. One of the applications used CDO and SMTP to automate emailing statistical reports to management.
Another task required me to use the Wise Installation system to create installation executables to install EOR-based applications on multiple web servers. The installation was required to set up ODBC connections, install COM objects into MTS, and install all ASP code and HTML pages.
My responsibilities as a web developer and SQL programmer for the various Arthur Andersen applications were as follows: